Saturday, June 14, 2014

Why Hell Is Such An Appalling Notion

I have said before that if I were forced to choose, if I had absolutely no say in the matter and had to pick an afterlife, then I would like to spend it in a sort-of star trek kind of way, traveling from star-system to star-system and throughout this and other galaxies learning about every conceivable thing. The problem with this is the conundrum which affected the Q; at some point there is nothing new left to discover. An eternity of anything would be tedious and boring eventually.

Which brings us to hell. This is a preposterous idea to tell anyone. If I told a woman that she deserved to be raped for wearing a miniskirt, and that she deserved to get aids and pregnant from the rape, I would be seen as a monster. The rape and the aids and the unwanted pregnancy would surely destroy her life and leave her miserable and eventually dead.

But that same woman can tell me that because I don't believe in god, I therefore deserve to be TORTURED FOR AN INFINITE AMOUNT OF TIME. This is appalling on the grandest scale, and by comparison her rape and aids and pregnancy are absolutely nothing, zero. You can't conceivably compare the two. Yet people are not only allowed to say that I deserve to be tortured forever, they are not seen as monsters for wishing this upon me. Why? Because of the ridiculous and unwarranted respect we accord religious faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment